“Fur used to turn heads, now it turns stomachs.” Rue McClanahan
The types of animals and the ways they are used for clothing is more than just fur
– Leather (from many, many animals)
– Felt (some felt is made from animal skins)
– Velvet (some velvet is made from silk)
– Down, Eiderdown, feathers from the Eider duck
– Uggboots, made from sheepskin (Uggboots is a generic name for sheepskin boots, which has been trademarked for some reason in some countries)
– Astrakhan/ Karakul (the wool from aborted sheep feotuses)
– Shahtoosh, wrap made from Chiru, the Tibetan antelope, an endangered species
– Cashmere, another name for goat wool
– Reptile skin – snakes, lizards, crocodiles, aligators
– Shell, mother of pearl, pearls (for buttons and decorations)
– Ivory (for buttons and decorations)
– Shearling, another name for sheep skin
Kangaroos turned into Adidas shoes
Fur from cats, dogs and rabbits can be labelled “fake” fur in the USA, in a legal loophole if the value of the fur is less than $150.
So even it you deliberately shop for “fake fur” you may still get skinned pets on your coat.
The annual seal slaughter in Canada and Namibia where baby seals are skinned alive for their fur.
Dyes Before synthetic dyes became cheap, animals were used: Cochineal / Carmine from the scale insect gives red
Hexaplex trunculus from a sea snail gives a blue purple indigo also known as Tyrian purple
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails speaks out against China Dog and Cat Fur Farm
Every year in China, millions of cats and dogs are killed for their fur. “If you buy or wear fur, you must share the blame for the suffering of these cats and dogs. If you know someone who wears fur, please, show them this video,” says Trent.
Even if it is labelled fake fur, check.